First Timer Guide
A step-by-step guide for first-time guests designed to get you on the snow.
What to Wear
Getting ready to head out to the mountain for the first time? The first step to an enjoyable day on the snow is dressing properly.
- Dress in layers. 1) Wicking 2) Insulating (fleece, wool, synthetic) 3) Weather Barrier (waterproof)
- A number of thinner, light layers as opposed to 2 thick layers will allow you to adjust what you're wearing appropriately. Wool, thermal layers, and fleece are highly recommended.
- Wear a base layer of leggings/long underwear, tight fitted long-sleeve shirt, and one pair of high socks (Manufacturers produce ski specific socks.) Too many pairs of socks can lead to wrinkles and cause discomfort in your boots.
- Wear a middle layer of fleece, wool, or synthetic material for warmth (sweater, sweatshirt, or down jacket) You probably won't need this layer for pants.
- Waterproof or resistant pants and jacket (Jeans and cotton like sweatpants & sweatshirts get wet quickly) Snow or ski pants and jackets are ideal, and can be purchased at Boyne Country Sports.
- Eye protection. No goggles? No problem! Sunglasses and prescription glasses work too.
- Gloves or Mittens. Waterproof or resistant work best. Cold day? Mittens will keep your hands warmer.
- Headwear. A warm hat or headband that covers your ears. Helmets are highly recommended and can help insulate your head.
- Face mask, neck gaiter, or scarf to protect your face from the cold (your favorite Covid accessory!)
Forgot something at home or want to gear up before you head out? Boyne Country Sports is located steps from the slopes!
Everything from helmets to skis are available at the rental shop.
Check in for guests staying at the resort is located at the Mountain Grand Lodge front desk.
Parking is free at Boyne Mountain! We have a resort shuttle offering free pickup from your resort accommodations. Offered daily: 8am-10pm. Please call 231.549.7433 for pick up. Have a lot of people and equipment to unload? There's a drop-off area located directly next to the lift ticket windows.
Have questions? Look for our Mountain Hosts in green Boyne Mountain jackets. They're here to help you every step of the way.
Lift Ticket Windows
We recommend to purchasing your tickets online in advance to save money. If you have a lesson, check ahead to see if a lift ticket is included in your package. If so, your instructor will give you your ticket. If you purchased tickets online, you'll still need to pick up the physical ticket. The Lift Ticket Windows are located directly next to the drop-off circle. Please note that office hours are subject to change throughout the season.
Pro tip: Attach your ticket to a pocket zipper, so it doesn't fly in your face!
The Mountain has a limited number of talented instructors available for private and group lessons. Booking lessons at least two weeks in advance for holiday weekends and blackout periods. Call 231.549.6056 to book a lesson.
Proceed to the SnowSports Academy front desk to check in for your lesson at least 30 minutes in advance - allow more time if you need to pick up rental equipment. The front desk is located on the main level of the Civic Center. You can enter through the sliding doors on the slopeside of the building. If your lesson includes rental equipment, you will receive a voucher upon check in. After checking in, you will be directed to the GoZone to meet your instructor. When leaving the Civic Center, take a right and continue past the Mountain Express Deli & Provisions onto the snow. You will see flags marking the meeting area.
Our rental shop is located in the lower level of the Civic Center. When entering the Civic Center through the slopeside entrance, take a right to proceed downstairs.
Arrive early if you are renting equipment on weekends/holidays. Rentals are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis and quantities are limited. The ski and snowboard systems in Boyne Mountain's rental shops are designed for quick set-up. A rental employee will ask for your level of ability, height, weight and shoe size to ensure the proper fit. Beginner to advanced equipment is available.
Resort guests can take advantage of our complimentary Ski Valet located outside the Adventure Center for skis, ski poles and snowboards. Lockers are available on a seasonal basis. Visiting for the day? Your locked car will be the best place to store extra layers and personal items.